Friday, January 15, 2010

you, not me...

Birthdays are very difficult to know how to plan. First of all what do you get for the birthday boy... in this case, Eric. Secondly, do you plan a big birthday bash or just make it a nice quiet dinner for just you and a couple friends. To solve the first problem, well the novel idea would be to just ask him. Okay, I will swallow my pride of coming up with my own idea and just ask him what he wants. his obvious reply... 'a new Bible, since Jack tore my old one to shreds.' Okay, I thought, I can handle that.

To the second question... lets make it a big party at a Brazilian grill but lead Eric to believe that it is just us and one other couple...SURPRISE!

To my chagrin, I was surprised... One night last week... the week before my darlin's birthday, to find the birthday boy ordering a new Bible online. I calmly asked Eric, not wanting to give anything away, 'what are you doing, babe?' his response, 'I am ordering a new Bible.' 'Okay'. I quietly replied on the outside, but on the inside it was a different story. 'WHAT, you just told me you wanted a Bible for your birthday and now you go and order one...fine, I just won't get you any birthday presents at all!' nice, huh.

After the initial response had worn off...like the next day...I began to plan how else I could surprise him. Perfect idea. Only invite one couple to go with is to this Brazilian grill, but really have everyone else already there to surprise him. The only problem... no one could go except M and S. Back to rethinking a birthday plan. I love surprises, obviously there has to be some sort of surprise on his birthday, right...honestly...I think I had more surprises than he did.

Eventually the plan came down to this...

First, I was home when the package came with his Bible in it...I thought...I don't have a birthday present for him... so I will wrap up this Bible (which I know he wants, since he picked it out himself)...and give it to him for his birthday.

Second, we will have a nice dinner with just two couples and another one of our friends.


So that was the plan the 5 of us would go up to Springfield...no surprises... and eat at this amazing restaurant, ReRicos. I even had a coupon so we could get a discount on our meals. We had to leave at certain time...because the coupon stipulated that in order for the discount to work we had to get there between 4:30 and 5:30. We made it 5:15, perfect! Our mouths were all set and as we walked in, the host at the front table says...'i am sorry, but we are closed due to plumbing problems.' 'WHAT!' alrighty then...now what...

*I must say at this point I could have cried... nothing is working out like I had planned.

We made the most of it and went to our favorite place to eat in Springfield, Nonna's. Alright, I can handle that. So we made our way to downtown Springfield to eat dinner at our little Italian restaurant. From this point on there were no more surprises coming my way.
After our meal, S and M came back to our trailor and we ate dessert and played CTR (video game) and Scattergories until midnight. and Eric got to open his presents...he loved the games that his parents got for him...and he loved the Bible that I wrapped for him.

What started out last week as crazy planning trying to come up with something fun to do for my dear husbands birthday...then getting surprise after surprise of my own when things didn't turn out quite right...turned out to be a great evening with lots of laughing and fun times with some very close friends.

So Baby...I hope you enjoyed your birthday...because next year, believe me...you will be surprised...not me!

No comments: