Tuesday, March 16, 2010

trials bring forth fruit

I have been involved in a ladies Bible Study at my church for the last few weeks. It is called 'Becoming a Woman of Simplicity' based on the verse II Corinthians 11:3- 'I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.' It has been an amazing study that shows how we need to simply focus on God and our devotion to Him. Last week we discussed going through various trials in our lives. Even though trials are no fun and, of course, I hate that the ladies who shared their trials have to go through them...it is very encouraging to know that I am not the only one that struggles with things. It made me realize, for the thousandth time, that when I am struggling with something instead of looking at my trials and struggles I need to focus first upward towards God...who has already overcome the world (John 16:33). Secondly, I need to look outwards towards others. Focus on them and what they are going through and that will help me to put my situations into perspective...and keep me from feeling sorry for myself.

there was a fantastic quote in the chapter... 'my desire is to be faithful in life as it actually is, to rejoice not in the trials, but in the good that God can bring from my patient endurance. I have found that the only way I can remain unshakable, assured, and deeply at peace is when I take heart from being in the presence of Christ. The only way I can experience His mercies to live just for today, is to sit at His feet and listen to His Word. -cynthia heald-

thank you, Lord for bringing trials into my life. thank you that they help me to bear more fruit. thank you for making these trials part of the process of becoming more like your Son, Jesus Christ...and causing these trials to make me look upward and outward!
'our trials have meaning and purpose in God's eternal plan, and He brings or allows to come into our lives only that which is for His glory and our good.' -jerry bridges-

1 comment:

The Haskell Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement Sarah! Love you!