Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roller Blading Mania



As stated before Eric and I took a wonderful trip to Georgia for the 4th. While we were there we took a trek to Goodwill and found some cool junk. Like they say, "One man's trash is another man's potpourri." Anyway, while we were at the Goodwill we found two pairs of roller blades that fit us and we couldn't pass up the deal. His were $6.25 and mine were $7.35.

What a great deal, right?!

To preface the rest of my story I must tell you that Eric is a great roller blader/ice skater. He used to work at an ice skating rink, if that gives you any idea as to how good he is.

To give you an idea of the exact opposite, me, I can't remember the last time I went roller skating...rollerblading never, and ice skating...well, I think it was three years ago when I went to school in KC.

So Eric is having a challenge teaching me how to rollerblade. We have been going quite faithfully for the last two weeks. There is a small neighborhood beside our trailor so we have been trying to go there. It is difficult though to rollerblade on pavement. Eric has been, and is very patient. He keeps trying to make me let go of him while I'm blading. Are You Crazy Or Something?!

Monday night we had my brother and sis-in-law and there two kids over for supper...Seafood lasagna (Yum, I will post the recipe later) and delicious strawberry/blueberry shakes. After our dinner we went to the lake where there is a 5 mile walking trail.

Oops, I forgot, the wheels on my cheap rollerblades messed up so Eric and I are looking into purchasing replacements.

Anyway, Adrian had some rollerblades that she couldn't use, (she is pregnant) so she rode a bike and I used her roller blades. Thanks, I think.


Ryan pushed the stroller with the two boys in it, while rollerblading and Eric rollerbladed as well.

Okay, so if you know me you know that I am some what of a, well a chicken, in the largest sense of the word. I always have been whether it is just learning how to ride my bike, or learning how to drive. It doesn't matter I am always a chicken.
Looking back at this story now it is actually a funny scenario. Anytime a hill would come, I would quickly grab Eric's arm and say, "a hill, Babe, there's a hill." He would patiently let me hold on for dear life as I tried to apply the brake at the same time. (I am still learning how to stop...and that is the most important thing in my book).

Well, we did pretty well on the first half, then on the second half as we made our way back we were just ahead of Ryan and Adrian (which was a first) and Eric, with Jack in tow on his leash was coaching me as I looked up and frantically told Eric, "a hill, Babe, there's a hill." This was not just any hill though. To you professionals out there, like Eric this would have been fun, but to us amatuer chickens, this is a time to panic.

Eric usually just coached me through those times, but this hill was bigger than the rest and had a large turn at the bottom. He just told me to hold on tight and he would roll us through it.

You know that saying, "I saw my life flash before my eyes.." Apply that to this situation.

There we were, Eric, holding on to Jack, telling me to hold on...me holding on the Eric's arm and the back of his shirt about to hyperventilate(wanting to close my eyes desperately, but thought better of it). I could just see us crashing into the looming forest ahead of us.

Are you just waiting on baited breath to hear what happened? Thankfully we made it past the large hill and the rest of the trip was uneventful. I can certainly tell you though, that the rest of the trip I did not let go of Eric's arm. (By the way, even Eric admitted that he was a little nervous going down the hill...it wasn't for himself though).

Jack was thirsty after our 5 mile trek.
I am still learning and hopefully will get the hang of it soon, but I must say, I am about to insist to Eric that I get a bike and he can sell my rollerblades.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow.....i'm impressed....my brother Paul tried to teach me when we were kids...i failed. i'm not as good at rollerblading as i am at ice skating....just kidding. :) i'm bad at both. :) anyway...awesome reading about you guys! life here in Utah is great....you should definitely come for a visit!! :)