Saturday, July 11, 2009

You say Tomato I say Tomahto...

Well, I realize that one probably doesnt' spell "tomahto" like that, but when you're trying to sing a song anything goes...right?
Many posts ago I mentioned that I had just started a Spring Garden. Well, much to my chagrin after planting many types of herbs and veggies and flowers the only thing that produced any type of harvest were the tomatoes. I can't complain too much however. Why? Because those tomatoes went through a lot and they still are producing.

Our lovely 4 month old puppy decided one evening that he would chew up the sticks that were holding up our small tomato plants. Being a dog he, of course, was not able to tell the difference between the sticks and the stalks. The next morning when I went outside to head for work I saw the mess that Jack had made. I didn't have time to fix them so I called Eric and asked if he would mind trying to repair the major disarray of my poor tomato plants. He did the best he could the next thing to do was to just wait and see if our plants would continue their cycle of growth...(*holding your breath, right?)
One tomato plant still looks good, the other three, well we are still waiting to see if they will continue to produce.

When we got back from our trip to Georgia I discovered that one of the plants had a red, ripe tomato on it. YAY!! I was so excited. My first ever, home-grown myself, tomato. I picked it (not before taking pictures) and Eric and I ate it on our supper that night.

If you look closely at the tomato stalk you can see that it is slightly broken...Jack's handi-work.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Is that a homemade tortilla? The tomato looks beautiful!